Serve this crowd pleaser straight from the pot on a sunday dinner, with few slices of country bread and red wine.
Ingredients ingredient for Spicy Pork Stew
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 3 hours
Yield: Serves 8 to 10.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds (1.5kg) pork shoulder, cut into 1-2 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- All of the cloves from 1 head garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (15-ounce – 400g) crushed tomatoes
- 3 1/2 (800ml) cups water
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon hot paprika (or 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes)
- 1-2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 cans (15-ounce – 400g) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Brown the pieces of pork shoulder in batch to avoid overcrowding the pan. Sprinkle a little salt over the pork as it cooks. Set aside once pork is browned.
2. Drain off all but a couple tablespoons of pork fat from the pot. Add the chopped onion to the pan and stir well. Cook over medium-high heat until the onions start to brown. Add the chopped garlic and cook for one minute more.
3. Add the pork back to the pan with tomatoes and water. Stir in paprika and add salt to taste. Bring to a simmer and cook for at least 2 hours, or until the pork is very tender.
4. Add the drained chickpeas and chopped scallions, stir well and adjust salt to taste. Cook for 5 minutes more and transfer to your serving vessel, or serve straight from the pot with few slices of country bread and red wine.
(Photo: Christina Cherrier)