Luscious, rich, and sexy—chocolate is certainly the ultimate indulgence. If you’re looking for a lovely dessert for a special occasion or to enjoy alone (selfishly watching a good movie!), this fluffy and decadent chocolate souffle may be the perfect answer. Break eggs in advance to bring them at room temperature and have all your ingredients ready before you begin. Don’t worry if you are having people for dinner, you can make this chocolate souffle preparation up a couple of hours ahead, refrigerate and just bake in the oven before dessert.
Ingredients list for the Chocolate Souffle
- 1/2 cup (75g) semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (50g) caster sugar + extra for the ramekins
- 0.4 cup (10cl) whole milk
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- Unsalted butter, at room temperature, for brushing the ramekins
- Confectioner sugar, for dusting
1. Preheat your oven to 410°F (210°C) with the rack in the center of the oven. Separate the egg yolks from whites and set aside. Butter the ramekins and line them with powdered sugar. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Melt the chocolate using a double boiler; or in a bowl in the microwave in thawing mode whisking with a spoon from time to time until completely melted.
3. Gently beat the egg whites until stiff while incorporating the caster sugar gradually. Set aside.
4. Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the cornstarch. Bring this mixture to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent from scalding. The mixture should thicken. Gradually pour a third of the thickened cream over hot melted chocolate.
5. Using a spatula, mix vigorously in small circles to form a smooth mixture without lumps. Then incorporate the second third, mix using the same process, then add the remaining third.
6. Add the egg yolks, whisking vigorously until smooth. Gently fold half the egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Then, when the mixture is homogeneous stir in remaining egg whites.
7. Garnish the ramekins with the chocolate mixture obtained.
8. Bake souffles in the oven at 410°F (210°C) for 13 minutes —time depends on the size of your ramekins, check doneness with a skewer that should come out clean. Sprinkle a little icing sugar and serve immediately with whipped cream, custard or vanilla ice cream, if desired.