Spicy vegetable chili soup — Delicious on its own or with tortilla chips, this hearty soup is very flavorful and not too spicy. The kind of heart-warming winter dish you’ll be making again and again!
Ingredients list for the vegetable chili soup
- 1 large sweet potato (or 2 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1/4 butternut squash, seeded, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 liter vegetable stock (or 1 liter water + a vegetable bouillon cube)
- 1 carrot, cubed
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1/2 can (200g) white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 can (200g) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 can (200g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 red chili, finely sliced + optional red chile for garnish
- 1 small bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot and add the chopped onion. Cook over medium heat until golden. Add the sweet potato, butternut squash, cumin, and cinnamon and season to taste. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the bell peppers, carrots, and garlic and cook for another 3–4 minutes. Add the white beans, red kidney beans, and tomatoes. Cover with vegetable stock and add red chili. Simmer for about 25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
3. Puree the soup with an immersion blender. Add a bit of water if it’s too thick. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve topped with fresh parsley and red chili.