Who says summer ultimately says salads and grilling; and this grilled chicken salad brings them all together! Here spicy grilled chicken is marinated with honey, ginger, sriracha and combined with carrot, cabbage, croutons and a tangy raspberry dressing. This one-bowl meal is an amazing formula to keep you both refreshed and satisfied throughout hot summer days.
Ingredients list for the Grilled Chicken Cabbage Salad
- 1 green cabbage, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise (use a mandoline slicer for quicker and better results)
- 2 (9 oz) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups matchstick carrots, or 2 medium carrots cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small cubes
- 2 handfuls of croutons
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 chopped spring onions, green and white parts
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds, toasted
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped sping onions, green and white parts
- A handfull of raspberries
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
For the marinade:
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk together soy sauce, ginger, olive oil, lime juice, worcestershire sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha, minced garlic and honey.
2. Add chicken breasts to a large resealable bag and add 3 to 4 tablespoons of the marinade mixture, reserving the remaining. Seal the bag and rub the marinade over chicken, then transfer chicken to your refrigerator and let rest at least 30 minutes, or up to 1 day.
For the dressing:
1. Add balsamic vinegar, olive oil, raspberries to a blender and pulse to emulsify the vinaigrette. Add 1/4 cup chopped green onions and whisk to combine. Set aside in the refrigerator.
For the salad:
1. Heat a grill or grill pan over the stove top over medium-high heat. Brush grill lightly with canola or vegetable oil, then place marinated chicken on the grill and cook, about 4 minutes per side, or until chicken has cooked through.
2. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Then, cut chicken breasts crosswise into 1/4-inch strips.
To assemble the salad:
1. In a large bowl toss together cabbage, chicken, carrots, spring onions, bell pepper croutons and cilantro with enough raspberry dressing to coat the salad. Add chicken strips, drizzle with additional raspberry vinaigrette and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
Notes: The chicken is flavorful but not very spicy without a good drizzle of the marinade glaze. Reduce the remaining of the marinade in a saucepan. You can then customize the heat of the chicken by adding more or less glaze at the end of grilling.