Simple roasted potatoes with cajun spices—Spicy and smokey, cajun seasoning gives these roasted potatoes an extraordinary flavor that will perfectly accompany chicken and poultry.
Preparation time: 20 min – Cooking time: about 1 hour depending on the potatoes.
Ingredients list for Roasted Potatoes with Cajun spices
- 1 3/4 lbs (800 g) potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2 tbsp of Cajun spices mix
- 1/3 cup (8 cl) of vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 320°f (160°c). Wash the potatoes, cut them in half, preferably without removing the skin, then make coarse slices.
2. Peel and chop the onion.
3. Put the cut potatoes and onion in a large bowl. Add Cajun spices.
4. Pour the oil. Season. Stir vigorously with a large spoon to coat everything.
5. Spread the mixture into a baking dish lined with a sheet of parchment paper.
6. Pour a glass of water in the baking dish, cover with aluminum foil. Bake potatoes for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Serve the roasted potatoes with grilled chicken.
If you can not find the Cajun spice mix, your can do it yourself, it’s easy. Here’s what you need:
Ingredients list: Cajun Spice Mix
- 3 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons celery seeds
In a spice grinder or with the help of a mortar and pestle, mix all spice. Grind until you obtain desired consistency. Store in a jar at room temperature, this spice mix will stay ok for 6 months. The flavor will decrease after this time limit.
(Photo by E. Grosjean)