With an earthy and sweet flavor matching perfectly with savory garnishes, buckwheat adds a whole new dimension to your regular lunch or brunch. These buckwheat crepes filled with ham, egg and cheese fit perfectly between a green salad and a bowl of apple cider. It takes a while to let the batter rest so make it in advance. Once the batter is ready, you’ll be able to whip up amazing but quick and nutritive meals for your family.
Ingredients list for the Buckwheat Galette recipe
For dough for 20 Crepes
- 5 cups (500g) buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon (7g) coarse salt
- 1 egg
- 4 cups (1 liter) of fresh water
Oven Baked Mashed Potato Cakes
For the filling
- Slices of ham
- Grated cheese
1. Combine flour and salt in a bowl.
2. Dig a well in the center and add the egg.
3. Pour water gradually, stirring with a wooden spoon until you get a smooth and flowing batter. Then let sit for 2 hours.
4. On medium heat, wipe a thin layer of neutral oil in a skillet or a crepe pan (or toss in a knob of butter, let it melt, then wipe it around).
5. Cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Set aside and repeat the process. Add a little water if the batter is not liquid enough. Stir the batter regularly so it keeps homogenous.
6. For the filling: place a slice of ham, grated cheese and the egg over a crepe.
7. Heat the crepe in a skillet or griddle for 5 minutes and serve warm with beer, apple cider or simply a good cup of tea!
Note: Try with different ingredients like goat cheese, apple and honey for example.