This lime and poppy seed cake is possibly the easiest and quickest thing ever to whip up, perfect for an afternoon break when the kids come back from school. Just sweet enough, plenty of zing, light, with golden crust, and unbelievably moist. Lime and poppy seeds is such an amazing combination! The lime flavor is subtle, so for a stronger kick, lay off few slices of lime on top.
Ingredients list for Lime Poppy Seed Cake
- 2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 4 limes
- 4 eggs
- 5 1/3 oz (150g) butter
- 3/4 cup (150g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1. Preheat your oven to 410°F (210°C).
2. Wash, dry and zest 3 limes, then squeeze the juice. Cut the remaining lime into thin slices.
3. Combine butter and sugar, then add the eggs one by one.
4. Stir in the flour, baking powder and sesame seeds, then add the lemon juice and zest. Mix well.
5. Butter and flour your cake pan (here I used a Bundt pan) and pour the batter.
6. Top with lemon slices and bake at 410°F (210°C) for 10 minutes. Then turn your oven to 300°F (150°C) and bake for 30 minutes more. If the cake is done, a skewer of knife blade inserted into the centre of the cake should come out clean.