Family dinner has never been easier, more fun, or more delicious with this gnocchi casserole with ham, cheese, and spinach. The creamy sauce gets tons of flavor and lusciously coats fluffy potato pillows of gnocchi. Finish with a quick broil in the oven to melt the cheese and create a super tasty gnocchi casserole. So go ahead and dig into the gooey, cheesy goodness!
Ingredients list for the baked gnocchi
- 2 cups gnocchi (see the notes for the homemade recipe)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 1/2 oz (100g) cooked ham, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 bouillon cube, crumbled
- 1/2 cup Italian four cheese mix (Provolone, Asiago, Parmesan, Mozzarella)
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Cajun spice mix, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C). In a bowl, combine milk, cream, ham, garlic, spinach, crumbled bouillon cube, cajun spices and fresh cracked pepper; mix well.
2. Butter a baking dish and line the bottom with a layer of gnocchi. Spread a layer of half the ham and spinach mixture on top. Top with another layer of gnocchi, then finish with the other half of the ham and spinach cream. Sprinkle the four-cheeses mix and cracked pepper on top.
3. Transfer in the oven and bake/broil for 10-15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and lightly golden. Remove from oven and serve immediately.
To make your own gnocchi at home:
- 4 medium russet potatoes (approx. 2 lbs)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ¾ cups flour
Boil unpeeled potatoes in salted water until cooked through, but not more. Allow to cool, peel and grate. Place grated potatoes in a bowl. Stir in egg and salt, then slowly incorporate flour until dough is no longer sticky. Turn onto lightly floured surface and knead lightly. Make 1/2 inch rolls, and cut into 1 inch pieces. Press lightly with a floured fork to make the shape. Then you can freeze the gnocchi for later, or cook them in boiling water until them float, about 2 minutes, then drain.