This delectable and healthy potato bake with a mediterranean flair will pair with any main course. Quick to make and even faster to disappear, even the pickiest eater will be asking for more.
Ingredients list for the potato gratin
- 3 pounds (1.2kg) potatoes
- 1 can (400g) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (200g) shredded swiss or parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 pound (400g) onions, minced
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Basil leaves, for garnish, optional)
1. Wash potatoes and cook in boiling water. Once cooked, transfer in ice-cold water to stop the cooking and peel easily. Remove skin and dice coarsely.
2. Sweat minced onions in olive oil for 10 minutes over low-medium heat. Onion should stay translucent, not browned. Add tomato, a pinch of salt and 2 tablespoons water. Cook for 15 minutes, until sauce has thickened—without drying out.
3. Add potatoes and stir gently to coat well with tomato sauce. Divide into buttered ramekins.
4. Combine egg and milk and season with salt. Pour into the ramekins and sprinkle with shredded cheese and a dash of olive oil. Bake in the oven at 360°F (180°C) for 30 minutes. Allow to cool down a bit before serving topped with basil leaves, or heat cold the day after.