If you go easily into sheer panic mode when you’re asked to bring something to a party, here’s the ultimate remedy. These smoked tuna and parmesan sticks are covered with seed and spices and baked until puffed and golden. From holiday party to weeknight noshing, these scrumptious bites will perfectly fit between a fresh cocktail and marinated olives.
Ingredients list for the Tuna & Cheese Puff Sticks
- 1 can of smoked tuna (130g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 puff pastry sheet
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 coffee spoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
1. Mix drained tuna, oil and vinegar in a large bowl with a fork.
2. Unroll the puff pastry (keep the parchment paper below). Sprinkle a little paprika over one half and sesame seeds over the other half. Spread tuna and add half the Parmesan.
3. Fold the pastry into a semi-circle. Brush one egg yolk mixed with 1/2 tablespoon water. Sprinkle with a little paprika, bread crumbs, add the remaining sesame seeds and cheese. Fold the parchment paper and press over the entire surface.
4. Refrigerate for 30 to 40 minutes before cutting sticks. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
5. Transfer the puff sticks on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the oven thermostat 360°F (180°C).
Notes: Smoked tuna is already salted, so it’s not necessary to season the filling preparation. Sesame seeds can be replaced with dried oregano, paprika by curry.
(Photography by D.Sauvage)