Dark leafy greens are one of the most nutritious, inexpensive and easy to cook real foods. If you’re bored of salads, give these sauteed swiss chard toasts a try. This simple, vegetarian snack made of swiss chard, cream cheese, and crunchy bread slices is so healthy and delicious!
Ingredients list for the swiss chard toasts
- Bread slices
- Olive oil
- Cream cheese
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, sliced
- 1 bunch of Swiss chard leaves, rinsed, white stem removed, chopped
- Chili pepper flakes (optional)
- Black pepper
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
1. Heat live oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt.
2. Add the garlic and pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Pile the chard on top, cover the pan if you are able, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the leaves begin to wilt. Uncover the pan, use tongs to rearrange the leaves and continue cooking the chard until any liquid evaporates. Adjust seasoning if necessary and set aside.
3. Brush bread slices with olive oil and briefly toast in the oven.
4. Spread cream cheese on the warm toasted bread and top with cooked chards leaves? Sprinkle with additional black pepper and serve.