Here’s an awesome, elegant appetizer inspired by Spanish Cuisine. These grilled shrimp and mango puree shooters are easily prepared ahead and chilled, making them perfect Spring, Summer and anytime party favorites.
Ingredients list for the shrimp tapas
- 16 raw shrimps
- 1 mango
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1 tablespoon Sichuan pepper (or pink peppercorns)
- 1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
- 1 piece of fresh ginger (3/4 inch – 2 cm) peeled
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- Zest of 1 lime
- Some herbs for garnish: basil or fresh thyme
1. Peel the mangoes and remove the core. Cut the first one into 16 small cubes and puree the second in a blender. Keep aside.
2. Shell the shrimp, keeping only the tail.
3. In a large skillet, heat the oil and roast peppercorns and fennel seeds until the mixture becomes fragrant. Then add the garlic clove cut in half and the shrimp. Brown for ten minutes, stirring regularly. When shrimp is cooked, add grated ginger and sea salt; stir for 2 minutes then let cool.
4. Pick two shrimps and a mango cube on a toothpick; repeat the same process with the rest. Fill 1/3 of mini verrine glasses with the mango puree, then arrange the toothpicks inside the glasses. Grate the zest of lime over and garnish with a few basil leaves. Refrigerate until serving.