Here’s a totally seasonal rhubarb pie with small sunflower seeds. If you’re fan of rhubarb, you’ll enjoy this one. Sunflower seeds bring a subtle nutty flavor that balances the tartness of the rhubarb – perfect to end a good meal. Choose red rhubarb stalks and if you prefer the pie thicker, just double the dose.
Repair: 20 min – Cooking time: 45 min
Ingredient list for the rhubarb pie Recipe
- 1 shortbread dough
- 1 lb (500 g) rhubarb
- 1/2 (250 g) of cream
- A little butter for the pan
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup (100 g) of brown sugar
- 1 oz (25 g) sunflower seeds
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. Cut pieces of rhubarb stalks and wash. Then cut them into small pieces of 5 cm, that you cut in half lengthwise to have no butts (not to thick, unless you double doses).
3. Mix eggs, cream and sugar in a bowl. Everything must be uniform.
4. Spread the shortbread dough into the pan that you have previously buttered. I always sprinkle flour in the pan so it doesn’t stick.
5. Place your pieces of rhubarb.
6. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds and pour the preparation from the bowl.
7. Bake for about 45 minutes.
Serve your rhubarb pie just warm; it will only get better!
(Photo by Eleonora Grosjean)