Once again, simple ingredients make the best combos! Juicy tomato with red onion, and the unexpected flavor of herb butter, all come together to create a wonder balance of flavors over a crunchy toast. Perfect for a quick lunch, you can also cut them in triangles to make smaller bites as a refreshing appetizer.
Ingredients list for the bruschetta
For 2 servings
- 2 one-inch thick slices of sourdough bread; or whatever bread you like
- 1/4 cup herb flavored butter (recipe here or below)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Olive oil, for garnish
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Toast the bread in a toaster or under the broiler.
2. Let the toast cool a little, then spread flavored butter, followed by some tomato slices alternating with red onion and then chopped basil leaves.
3. Drizzle the slices with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. To make smaller bites to enjoy as an appetizer, just cut the slices of bread into triangles.
For the flavored butter
1. Soften butter to room temperature.
2. Combine butter with chopped parsley, chives, cilantro, fennel, salt, crushed pink peppercorns, chili pepper and lime zest. Mix well.
3. There you have 2 options:
- Scoop compound butter with a coffee spoon to fill small jars, like we did for this recipe.
- Roll up in parchment paper or plastic wrap and chill until firm. When firm, serve sliced with your choice of food.
Keep in the refrigerator for 5 days, in the freezer for a month. Allow frozen butter to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.