Stinging nettles are, for many of us, nothing more than persistent weeds with a painful sting. But apart from having been put to myriad uses by our ancestors, nettle brings you minerals and vitamins that are essential for your well-being during the spring season. As there is nothing quite like a delicious dish to uncover the incredible versatility of this plant, try this healthy and delicious nettle souffle recipe, perfect for a light yet nutritious dinner.
Ingredients list for Nettle Cheese Soufflé
Serves 4 :
- 3 large handfuls of nettles, sorted and cleaned
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 (35cl) milk
- 3 tablespoons (20g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (60g) grated hard cheese: Cheddar, Gruyere… (I used shredded Comte cheese )
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg
Baked Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Squash
1. Preheat your oven to 390°F (200°C).
2. Clean nettles in water and vinegar and sort to keep only the youngest and tenderest leaves, usually the 4-6 leaves on top of the stem.
3. Cook the nettle leaves in a saucepan over medium heat for few minutes with a little salt. They will cook in their own water. Then chop the cooked leaves.
4. Mix flour in a little cold milk and pour the mixture into the remaining milk. Heat in a saucepan over medium heat with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Stir constantly until the mixture thickens. Add nettles off the heat and set aside.
5. Separate the egg yolks from whites. Beat the egg whites until stiff.
6. Combine nettles with egg yolks and grated cheese. Fold the egg whites delicately.
7. Butter and flour individual ramekins and garnish with the souffle preparation.
8. Bake for twenty minutes without opening the oven door, otherwise the souffles will fall.
9. When the soufflés are done, serve immediately.
(Picture by N.Palmer)