These simple starters offer 3 layers of mashed butternut squash with coconut milk and a pureed lentils curry. This layer appetizer is both hearty and refined, so take your glassware out of your cupboards; it’s time to throw a little dinner party! Your blender will be your best ally on this one.
We will use curry tree leaves to spice up the lentils, a component you find in Indian and Asian grocery stores. Enter the preparation of curries and massale.
Ingredient list: mashed butternut coconut milk
- 1lb (500g) butternut squash (peeled and seeded)
- 1/3 cup (75ml) coconut milk
- 1 pinch of cinnamon powder
- Salt and pepper
1. Cut the butternut squash into pieces and put it in a pot or a large saucepan.
2. Soak up with water or chicken broth, cover and cook until the pumpkin pieces are tender.
3. Drain the butternut keeping the cooking water. Then blend it with coconut milk and cinnamon adding a little cooking water to obtain the desired consistency.
4. Adjust seasoning and pour into the bottom of the glasses.
Ingredient list: mashed lentil curry
- 1 onion
- A pinch of curry leaves
- 1/2 lb (250g) green lentils
- 2 1/2 cups (600ml) water or chicken broth
- 4 dried curry leaves
- Salt and pepper
1. In a large skillet, fry the chopped onion and curry with a little olive oil.
2. When the onion is lightly colored, add the lentils, water or chicken broth and curry.
3. Cover and cook until lentils are tender, add a little water during cooking if necessary.
4. Once the lentils are cooked, drain them keeping the cooking water.
5. Remove the curry leaves and mix lentils, add more or less water depending on desired consistency.
6. Check the seasoning, then pour in glasses.
Finish by topping your verrines with a second layer of butternut puree. Serve warm or hot.