Three simple ingredients make up this hazelnut praline crunch ice cream cake – Biscoff cookies, hazelnuts and vanilla ice cream – simply combined together into a fantastic signature dessert. Needless to say, this elegant treat is a total crowd pleaser, perfect to end up a holiday dinner! Simply double or triple the quantities to make more.
Ingredients list for the Hazelnut Praline Ice Cream Cake
- 4 Biscoff cookies
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- 3/4 cup (120g) whole hazelnuts, shelled
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30g) butter
The caramelized hazelnuts:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (180°C) . Line a baking sheet with parchment, and roast hazelnuts for about 10 minutes.
2. Remove hazelnuts from oven and rub between you palms to remove the skin. Crush coarsely and set aside.
3. In a saucepan, heat sugar with 2-3 drops of water until golden and fragrant. Turn off the heat and add the hazelnuts. Stir to coat well, then spread on a cutting board lined with parchment paper and let cool.
4. Crush coarsely with a knife, keeping 2 bits of hazelnut brittle for decoration. Transfer crushed caramelized hazelnuts in a blender or food processor and pulse until you obtain a powder. Set aside.
The cookie crust:
1. Pulse the Biscoff cookies in the food processor, add butter and 1 or 2 tablespoons hazelnut powder, then pulse again to obtain a paste.
2. Using a pair of ring molds 2 1/2 or 3 inch (7cm) diameter, line the bottom with the Biscoff mixture, 1/2-inch thick. This will make the base of the ice cream cakes.
3. Butter the edge of the ring molds and sprinkle with hazelnut praline. Press with a spoon to stick the hazelnut to the edges. Put the ring molds in the freezer for 30 minutes until the crust hardens.
1. Fill the ring molds to the top with vanilla ice cream, packing it firmly so that there are no air pockets.
2. Top the cakes with a layer of caramelized hazelnut praline. Press with a spoon. Cover with plastic wrap and place the ring molds back into the freezer for at least 2 hours until completely frozen.
1. Remove the ice cream cakes from the freezer about and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to soften a bit.
2. Press with a small glass to remove the ring molds and transfer to small serving plates or bowls. Keep in the freezer until ready to serve. Top with a piece of hazelnut brittle and serve!