Biscotti are delicious cookies to serve after dinner with a cup of coffee according to the Italian tradition.
The word “biscotti” includes all biscuits with two successive baking steps: “bis” for two and “cotto” for cooking. They have a very long shelf life, so it is a cookie that must be soaked in coffee (just a few seconds, just to give it a little softness), hence its elongated shape. Today we’ll make chocolate biscotti, it’s basically the same recipe as the almond biscotti we did a few weeks ago.
Ingredients list for 15/20 biscotti
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup (100g) of sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 (125g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 1 3/4 ounces (50g) of pine nuts
- 1 3/4 ounces (50g) dark chocolate, finely crushed
- 1 3/4 ounces (50g) whole almonds, toasted
Pre-heat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
1. Lightly grease a baking sheet with a little butter.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the egg, sugar and vanilla extract in a bowl until frothy and make a ribbon.
3. Sift the flour, baking powder and cinnamon in another bowl. Gently stir in the previous preparation. Add chocolate, almonds and pine nuts, then mix.
4. On a floured surface, shape the preparation into a loaf approximately 9 inches (23 cm) long. Place the dough on the baking sheet to go to your oven.
5. Bake at 360°F (180°C) for about 20 to 25 minutes, until the cake is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes, until firm.
6. Place the cake on a cutting board. Cut the cake into diagonal slices about 1 cm thick using a serrated knife and place them back on the baking sheet in the oven. Bake once more for 10 to 15 minutes, turning slices halfway through cooking.
7. Note about texture: in the second baking turn, if you like your biscotti relatively soft, 10 minutes are enough. If you prefer them dry, flip and cook for another 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, and let cool completely on wire rack.
Taste your chocolate biscotti with a cup of your best coffee!