This vegan stew provides a massive dose of fiber and protein from the red lentils, while tomatoes, carrots, cilantro, and lime keep things fresh and light. The addition of ground turmeric adds undertones of spicy warmth as well as the myriad health benefits turmeric provides. With only 15 – 20 minutes total time and minimal cleanup, this is a superb easy, healthy, and flavorful dinner option!
Ingredients list for the red lentil stew
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red lentils
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Lime juice, for drizzling
Balsamic, Honey Roasted Cabbage Steaks
1. In a large pot on medium high heat, drizzle a little olive oil and saute onion and garlic until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add red lentils and stir to coat well. Add spices and vegetable broth, turn the heat up to high and bring everything to a rapid boil.
2. Once it starts boiling, turn the heat down to a low simmer and cook uncovered for about 12 to 15 minutes, until lentils are cooked through yet not falling apart.
3. Adjust seasoning, remove the stew from heat and divide into bowls. Top with fresh cilantro and drizzle with lime juice. Enjoy!