Dinner, in a hurry! This spicy red lentil soup with ginger, garlic and onion is one of our favorite speedy weeknight dishes. Quick-cooking red lentils are delish and the amount of protein per serving is a beautiful thing! Perfect if you want something hearty but healthy.
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Ingredients list for the red lentil soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon cajun spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds + for garnish
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 knob of ginger, minced
- Salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- Lemon juice for serving
Balsamic, Honey Roasted Cabbage Steaks
1. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in fennel seeds, cajun spices, paprika, black pepper, garlic, and cook until fragrant but not burning.
2. Add onion, and saute, stirring frequently, until the onion is cooked and translucent. Add tomato and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Add the broth, ginger, and lentils. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
4. Adjust seasoning and serve warm with a dash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of fennel seeds.