When the weather is still a bit chilly and you come back home after a long day at work, what could be more perfect than a comforting, soul-satisfying recipe? Covered in almost caramelized tomato and onion sauce, this easy braised chicken tastes like it has been cooking for hours. The sauce is spiced with garlic and Espelette Pepper and the soft vegetables add flavor and color. The result is succulent pieces of chicken that fall of the bone, steeped in the flavors in the pan. You can make 1/2-inch-deep cuts in the chicken pieces to speed up the cooking time.
Ingredients list for the Braised Chicken
Serves 4 to 6:
- 1 organic chicken cut in pieces
- 2 onions
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 red bellpeppers
- Peeled tomatoes or a can of tomato pulp
- Salt and Espelette chili pepper flakes(you can substitute Jalapeno pepper powder)
- Olive oil
Creamy Four Cheese Spinach Butternut Squash
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season the chicken pieces with salt, then add them to the pan when oil begins to smoke lightly. Do not overcrowd the pan an avoid moving or turning the chicken pieces. Allow them to brown on each side, about 3 to 5 minutes each.
2. Meanwhile chop the onions and garlic. When the chicken is browned, lower the heat and add the onions and garlic. Simmer until the garlic and onion are golden.
3. Slice the bell peppers. You can roast and peel them before but it’s not mandatory. When the garlic and onion mixture get a nice brown color, add the peppers in the pan, stir well, season to taste with salt.
4. When the peppers are tender add the tomatoes and stir well. Simmer for 45 minutes over low heat, half covered to avoid tomato splatters
5. Adjust seasoning with salt and a pinch of Espelette pepper.