Light, summery and delicious, this tomato granita packs a lot of sweetness and vivid flavors. This unusual treat is the one you would make if you needed a flipping good entremet at a fancy barbecue party!
Ingredients list for the tomato granita
- 2 1/2 pounds ripe tomatoes (about 8 medium), cored, seeded, chopped
- 3/4 cup granulated sufgar
- 3/4 cup water
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 6 tablespoons vodka (optional)
- Fresh basil leaves for garnish
One-Pan Cajun Chicken
1. Dissolve sugar in water in a bowl. Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, then allow the syrup to cool down for a few minutes. Meanwhile, puree the tomato flesh in a blender.
2. Combine syrup and tomato with lime juice until smooth. Transfer to a 11x7x2-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Freeze until starting to set around the edges, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Continue to freeze, without stirring, until firm, about 2 more hours. Cover and keep frozen until serving.
3. Remove granita from freezer; let stand until soft enough to scrape with a fork, 20 to 30 minutes. Using the fork, scrape the tomato granita and divide among 6 glasses or ramekins. Garnish with basil leaves and add a drizzle of vodka on top (optional).