Delicious and family-friendly, this baked pasta recipe is perfect for busy weeknights. Baked penne are combined with tomato sauce, basil and cheese for an Italian comfort casserole full of flavor.
Ingredients list for the Tomato Sauce Baked Penne
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: About 6-8 servings
- 12 ounces penne ziti (or any pasta shape)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can peeled tomato (here’s the recipe for homemade tomato sauce, if you prefer)
- 2 cups shredded, cooked chicken (about 2 small chicken breasts)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese or swiss cheese
- 1/3 cup freshly-grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup packed fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
Creamy Four Cheese Spinach Butternut Squash
1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. Cook the pasta al dente in a large pot of salted boiling water, according to package instructions. Drain well. Return pasta to the stockpot and cover.
3. Fry the onion and garlic in a little olive oil, add the peeled tomatoes. Season with basil and black pepper and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce to the pasta and gently toss to combine until the pasta is evenly coated.
5. Pour half of the pasta into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, half of the Parmesan cheese. Layer the remaining pasta evenly on top. Sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and just starts to turn golden. Remove from oven, sprinkle immediately with the remaining fresh basil. Serve warm.