There is nothing better than a comforting soup to keep you warm, particularly on a cold winter day when you just want to curl up on the couch. Thick, creamy and bursting with curry spice, this very simple sweet potato soup is the perfect reward of a good home cooked meal. Top with bacon crumbs to add balance and serve with toasted bread with butter for the crunch.
Ingredients list for the Roasted Sweet Potato Soup
Preparation: 10 minutes – Cooking: 20 minutes
- 1.1 pound (500g) sweet potatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 knob of ginger root, finely chopped
- 4 bacon slices
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Dried herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary…)
1. Peel and cut the sweet potatoes in pieces. Chop the onion and fry in a large pan or pot with olive oil, then add the sweet potatoes cubes.
2. Cover the potato pieces with water, season with salt and spices. Cover with a lid and cook over medium heat.
3. Meanwhile fry bacon over medium heat, or better: roast it in the oven on a baking sheet.
4. Once the sweet potatoes are well softened, mix with a hand blender. You can add a spoonful of heavy cream if you want to add smoothness.
5. Serve in individual bowls, top with crumbled bacon, dried herbs and freshly cracked black pepper.