Spinach bacon lasagna — Do you have a particular vegetable that you always end up cooking the same way? If you’re fed up of steamed, bland spinach, this quick dinner recipe is perfect. Deliciously comforting, this lasagna is a meaty masterpiece, with a goat cheese filling that’s studded with bacon, a crunchy layer of crushed hazelnuts and topped with fresh mozzarella. With a green salad on the side, this hearty lasagna makes a great dinner for the whole family.
Ingredient list for for the smoked bacon and spinach lasagna
- 1 pack of no-boil lasagna noodle
- 2 2/3 lbs (1.2kg) of fresh spinach
- 2/3 lb (300g) goat cheese
- 14 slices of smoked bacon
- 1 1/2 oz (40g) shelled hazelnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- 1 2/3 cup (40cl) liquid cream
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pinch of nutmeg
1. Preheat your oven to 360°F (180°C).
2. In a large skillet, cook the fresh spinach in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until they begin to wilt. If using frozen spinach, let thaw, and sauté for 4/5 minutes in a pan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
3. Drain for 10 minutes in a colander. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Grease the bottom of the lasagna pan with a tablespoon of olive oil. Lay 4 lasagna noodles in the bottom, slightly overlapping. Cover them with a layer made of half the spinach, half the goat cheese, crumbled. Top with bacon slices (use 5 slices per layer) and sprinkle with crushed hazelnuts.
5. Cover with lasagna noodles and repeat the same process: a spinach layer, then goat cheese, bacon, nuts (keep some hazelnuts for the decoration ). Cover with lasagna.
6 . In a bowl, beat 2 eggs, add cream gradually to obtain an homogeneous mixture, add salt and pepper and a pinch of grated nutmeg.
7. Cut the ball of mozzarella into fifteen pieces. Place mozzarella on top of lasagna and sprinkle with the remaining slices of bacon that you have minced, and nuts.
8. Cover with one-half of the egg-cream preparation and put your dish in the oven for 35 minutes.
9. After 15 minutes, pour the rest of cream over lasagna egg and bake for 20 minutes more.
10. Take lasagna from the oven, cover with aluminum foil and wait for 10 minutes before serving.
You can accompany this dish with an endive and corn salad. If you want to prepare in advance, cook for 25 minutes and let rest for 30 minutes at 320°F (160° C) covered with aluminum foil.
(Photo by Anne Desplancke)