We love a condiment recipe that can quench our cravings in minutes. Just spread a piece of these pickled avocados on a thick slice of bread and you’re in snacking paradise! They taste also great on top of a green salad or mixed with eggs, or in sandwiches. Don’t skip on the red onions, they add a serious crunch to the soft avocados.
Ingredients list for the Pickled Avocados
Makes 1 quart jar or several smaller jars:
- 3 medium avocados
- A dozen small red onions, peeled (optional)
- 1 cup (240ml) white vinegar
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- Honey, to taste
- Peppercorns, to taste
- Chili peppers, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sea salt, or kosher salt
Ham Cheese & Spinach Puffs
1. Cut the avocados in half, and remove the pits, then carefully peel away the skin. Cut the avocados flesh into chunks and arrange into a clean glass jar along with onion and red chili pepper.
2. Combine the white vinegar, water, and salt in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
3. Pour the brine over the avocados and onion in the jar. Add few peppercorns and gently screw the lid onto the jar.
4. Let the jar sit until it has cooled down. Put into the refrigerator overnight before eating to give the flavors time to mix. Keep tightly sealed in the refrigerator, for up to two weeks.