Vibrant, fresh, and extremely versatile, salads reflect the current season and make a fantastic meal or accompaniment any day of the year. If you’ve been under the cold weather for the past weeks, this orange and mint salad is full of sunshine and perfect for a light dessert. The recipe is very flexible, you can add whatever fresh citrus available at your local market, and if you’re a fan of mint, you can replace it by dash of cranberry juice.
Ingredients list for the Mint and Orange Salad
Serves 2 :
- 4 organic oranges
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Mint leaves
1. Wash the oranges. Collect the zest of an orange and place in a saucepan.
2. Add the juice of two oranges into the saucepan. Add powdered sugar and the vanilla bean, split in two.
3. Bring to a boil then let steep for at least 1/2 hour.
4. Cut away the peel and white pith of the remaining two oranges; and then cut into slices.
5. Arrange the orange slices on two plates and top with the orange syrup.
6. Wrap the plates in plastic film and refrigerate for1 hour.
7. When ready to serve, chop some fresh mint leaves mint over.
(Photo by Chataigne)