Easy to make and looking very impressive on the table, Charlotte’s are elegant molded cakes filled with mousse or custard and surrounded lady fingers. If you’re looking for a light dessert to finish a good meal, these mini lemon and coconut charlottes have a great lemony flavor balanced by the smooth mascarpone custard. We add a bit of gelatin to the custard to make it hold a little better. Preparation time: 30 min – Resting: 1 night
Ingredients list for the Lemon and Coconut Mini Charlottes
Makes 6-8 individual desserts:
- 1 packages lady fingers, halved crosswise
- 1/2 pound (250g) mascarpone
- 0.4 cup (75g) + 2 1/2 tablespoons (30g) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2+1 fresh lemons
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin powder
- 0.4 cup (10cl) of water
- Grated coconut
1. Place small pastry rings, individual size, on a tray and line the bottom and sides with plastic wrap so that you can close it on top later.
2. Soak half the ladyfingers in a mixture of water, the juice of one lemon, and 2 1/2 tablespoons (30g) of sugar. Garnish the pastry rings with the soaked biscuits.
3. Soak the gelatine in cold water for about 10 minutes.
4. Squeeze 2 lemons, and lightly heat the juice. Add lukewarm lemon juice lukewarm to gelatin.
5. Beat the egg yolks with 0.4 cup (75g) sugar. Add the mascarpone and lemon juice with gelatin.
6. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then gently fold into the previous preparation. Distribute the mixture in the pastry rings and cover with plastic film. Place a plate or a tray on top of the pastry rings and refrigerate overnight.
7. Before serving, remove the pastry ring to un-mold the charlottes and sprinkle with shredded coconut. Here you are! A fresh and light dessert to finish any type of meal!