A celebration of contrasts in color, flavor, and texture — a fresh and crisp tomato salad is one of the most appealing dishes, especially when summer temperatures start to climb up! This recipe features unripe green tomatoes in a way that changes from the traditional fried green tomatoes we use to enjoy in late summer. The firm, slightly acidic tomato slices are drenched in a rich, fragrant basil pesto sweetened with hints of honey, and sprinkled with generously savory parmesan shavings. You can enjoy this easy, delicious, and versatile salad for a quick lunch or an evening dinner as a complete meal in itself.
Ingredients list for the green tomato salad
Yield: 2 Servings
- 4 firm green tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto (homemade or bought at the grocery store)
- 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Parmesan shavings
- 1 sprig of basil
- Freshly cracked pepper
1. Wash and dry tomatoes. Make slices and arrange on plates.
2. Combine the pesto, honey, balsamic vinegar and olive oil together.
3. Pour the pesto vinaigrette over tomatoes. Sprinkle with cracked black pepper, parmesan shavings and basil leaves. Enjoy immediately!