Churros is typically the perfect recipe to try with your kids. They will love helping make the churros for sure, but they will love eating them even more! With a fragrant flavor of coconut, this recipe contains neither milk, egg or wheat. It’s very simple to prepare, so why not trying with your children for a happy breakfast or mid-afternoon break?
Ingredients list for Coconut Churros
- 1/2 cup (80g) cornstarch
- 1/3 cup (50g) rice flour
- 2 tablespoons (20g) coconut meal
- 0.8 cup (200ml) water
- A big tablespoon of confectionner sugar (read the package for the ingredients; cornstarch which is used to keep the sugar fluffy is gluten free, but wheat starch is not)
- 2 coffee spoons grated coconut
- 1 pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil for frying
1. In a bowl, mix cornstarch, rice flour and coconut meal. Add sugar and a pinch of salt. Dig a well and set aside.
2. Bring water to a boil. Pour hot water over the flour and mix with a wooden spoon. You should obtain a soft ball of dough.
3. Allow to dough to cool. Meanwhile, heat frying oil to 360°F (180°C) in a deep-fryer or a deep skillet.
4. Transfer the dough into a churros maker or pastry bag fitted with a fairly wide star tip.
5. Pipe strips of dough into hot oil using the pastry bag. Fry until golden; drain on paper towels.
6. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and enjoy with chocolate sauce, hot chocolate or Nutella and crushed hazelnuts.