Fragrant and piping hot from the oven, an apple pie filled with quince or berry jam is the ultimate fall dessert. Both comforting and elegant, this all-time favorite seems more stylish than ever. Combining a flaky pastry filled with jam and apples cut into very thin slices: this apple pie is extremely versatile. You can serve it for dessert, breakfast or brunch with fresh jam and butter as a wonderful alternative to toast or brioche. Depending on the jam you have at hand, you can make infinite variations. And if you’re feeling really decadent, serve some sweet or clotted cream or creme fraiche on the side!
Ingredients list for the quince jam & apples tart
(for 4-6 people):
- 5 cups (500g) all-purpose flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 lb (250g) unsalted butter, diced
- 2/3 cup (125g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon yeast
- Water (if necessary)
- 1 cup (200g) of quince jam
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
1. In a large bowl, sift the flour and make a well in the center.
2. Place salt, eggs, diced butter and sugar in the middle. Mix with your fingers.
3. Work the dough quickly until you get a sandy consistency. Add a little water or milk if the dough is too dry and roll it to form a ball. Then wrap in plastic and put in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
4. Preheat your oven to 360°C (180°C).
5. Spread half of the dough into a large disc to make the bottom of the tart.
6. Fill the pastry with jam and cover with sliced apples.
7. Roll out the remaining dough and cut strips about 1/3 inch (1cm) wide.
8. Place these strips over the jam, crossing perpendicularly.
9. Brush with a little milk or egg yolk and bake for 30 – 40 minutes. Enjoy hot or lukewarm.
Nina L. Palmer