If you want to pamper the lover in your life on Valentine’s Day, we’re telling you friends, this is it. These double chocolate waffles are the ultimate treat for a decadent breakfast in bed.
Ingredients list for the chocolate waffles
Yield: Makes 6 or 7 waffles
For the waffles:
- 2 cups (200g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (55g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (40g) brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 large eggs, whites and yolks separated
- 6 oz (170g) bittersweet chocolate (60-70%), chopped
- 2 cups (500ml) buttermilk
- 1/2 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Nonstick spray
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
For the chocolate ganache:
- 1 cup (250ml) heavy cream
- 8 oz (230) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- A pinch of salt
- Sliced strawberries, for garnish
1. In a large bowl, combine together flour, cocoa powder, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center of the flour.
2. In another bowl, whisk together the 3 egg yolks, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla. Gradually incorporate into the flour and cocoa mixture; don’t over-mix.
3. Beat the egg whites in your stand mixer or with an electric mixer until stiff and soft peaks form. Fold in half of the egg whites into the batter. Add the chopped chocolate and the remaining egg whites and gently fold in until combined.
4. Heat your waffle iron and cook according to directions, making sure to coat the iron with nonstick spray. Once cooled, make heart shaped cut out in the waffles with a cookie cutter. You can use the trimmings to make delicious French toasts muffins!
1. Add the cream to a microwave-safe bowl. Heat for about 45 seconds, stir well, then heat for 45 seconds more.
2. Add the chocolate chips to heated cream and let sit for one minute. Then whisk until the mixture is smooth and creamy, reheat a little bit if needed. Add butter and salt and mix well. Reheat before serving if necessary.
3. When ready to serve, stack the waffles in serving plates, top with strawberry slices and drizzle a good amount of chocolate sauce.
Notes: Keep the waffles in the oven at 170°F (75°C) to have them warm when serving.