Here is a recipe idea for fun appetizers that will make you change from salted crackers, fat crisps and other temptations offered as aperitif snacks. Maybe you feel the same, but I’d like to see some coolness on my table because it’s summer!
Ingredients list: goat cheese rolled in cucumber
For 12 bites:
- 1 cucumber (preferably organic, because we’ll keep a bit of skin)
- 4 thick slices of goat cheese (sold as a small log)
- 6 pigeon heart tomatoes (elongated cherry tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large tablespoons chopped chives
- 1 clove garlic (or 2)
- Salt and pepper
- Bamboo sticks, or toothpicks
Wash the cucumber then remove a first strip of skin using a vegetable peeler or a mandoline. You can throw it because there is not enough flesh on it for a proper use. Then make thin strips of cucumber just like the pictures in the slideshow (there must be a thin trace of skin on each side of the strap).
To make nice seedless ribbons, I start with one side of the cucumber, I make strips until I reach the seeds in the center of the cucumber. Then I return the vegetable and do the same thing until reaching seeds again. I will have some flesh remaining on the sides that I’ll use later as cubes for a salad.
Put all the strips in a bowl.
Pour a tablespoon of olive oil over the cucumber strips.
Sprinkle a good pinch of salt, add a tablespoon of chopped chives and a clove of crushed garlic. Stir gently to avoid breaking the strips.
Marinate 1/2 hour or more.
Then cut slices of goat cheese 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick (1/2 cm to 1 cm), then cut each slices into quarters.
Cut tomatoes in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
Place the second tablespoon of chives in small bowl and roll the cubes of goat cheese into the fresh herbs.
Make the rolls:
Take a slice of cucumber, put one piece of goat cheese and half a tomato (I put cheese into the halved tomato which is a bit hollow as I removed seeds)
Roll up gently.
Close with a toothpick.
When all cucumber rolls are ready, book them in the refrigerator.
- Put a cube of feta, half a tomato, a piece of pitted black olives and roll them up in cucumber
- Put the mozzarella cheese instead of goat cheese
- Put smoked salmon and quail egg and then roll up in a strip of zucchini
- Put what you want with cubes of surimi
- Put pieces of shrimp, half a tomato and cucumber
- Put ham or smoked bacon instead of cucumber
- Put thin slices of radish…
For a lighter version, do not marinate cucumber in olive oil but season the cheese and sprinkle with sea salt once rolled over.
Nina L. Palmer