If you want a dessert that is both gourmet and light at the same time, then this cooked seasonal fruit salad is for you. This recipe comes from the book “Nature” by Alain Ducasse and it’s absolutely delicious and offer warm and colorful fruit, coated in a divine vanilla flavored caramel. You’ll se that the association of sweetness and olive oil and herbs gives a striking change from what we are used to eat for dessert!
Ingredients list for the sautéed fruit salad
- 2 beautiful apricots
- 1 handful of strawberries
- 2 nectarines
- 2 peaches
- 2 large handfuls of cherries
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (you can substitute 1 tablespoon of golden syrup and 1/2 tablespoon of thyme honey)
- 1 small sprig of thyme
- A few raspberries
Balsamic, Honey Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Depending on the season you can substitute any ingredient with available fruit.
1. Wash the fruit. Peel the peaches. Cut apricots, nectarines and peaches into quarters. Hull the strawberries, pit the cherries and cut them in half.
2. In a chef pan (preferably made of copper, it’s expensive but there’s nothing better for cooking fruit — some example here), heat the olive oil and honey ( and golden syrup if you use it). Slowly caramelize the whole mix.
3. When the sauce gets a nice amber color, pour the fruit and the vanilla pod and cook for 5 short minutes ensuring they are well coated with juice.
4. At the end of cooking, sprinkle the fruits with fresh raspberries and serve warm in small ramekins. Enjoy!
(Photos by Elise Cooks)