This cheesy broccoli soup has that kind of warm-you-right-up goodness that’s perfect to cap a cold and rainy day. Browning broccoli with onion and garlic gives the soup a layer of caramelized flavor while turmeric harmonizes with cheddar and savory bacon. Serve with croutons for good measure!
Ingredients list for the broccoli soup
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 cup sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Stale bread, cut into small dices (to make the croutons)
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat, add the broccoli and saute until browned, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, onion and saute, about 2 minutes more.
2. Add the broth, thyme and turmeric powder, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, toss croutons in 1 tablespoon olive oil with salt and pepper and toast in a 400°F (200°C) oven for 6 to 8 minutes. Fry bacon in a skillet, drain from fat and cut into small bits. Set croutons and bacon aside.
4. Mix in the cream and cheese into the soup and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Puree the soup in a food processor or blender and enjoy garnished with crisp bacon bits and croutons.