Salad for lunch? Or salad for dinner? What do you prefer? In many cases, a simple salad can be turned into a main meal and this broccoli and bacon salad makes no exception. Combining fresh broccoli, crispy bacon, and cubed cheddar cheese in a sweet and sour dressing made with mustard, honey and vinegar, this salad is a whole-meal on its own. The key here is to play with different textures and flavors: savory, sweet, crunchy, chewy, and best of all – delicious!
Ingredients list for the broccoli and bacon salad recipe
- 1 head fresh broccoli
- 2 oz (60g) cheddar cheese
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup (60g) crumbled bacon
Whole Roasted Cauliflower With Butter Sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 coffee spoon liquid honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 clove of garlic
- Chopped chives
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Cut the broccoli in florets and heat a pot with water and a tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil.
2. Meanwhile fill a large bowl with ice-cold water. Once the pot of water is boiling, drop the broccoli florets into the boiling water for 30 seconds. Then drain the water and soak the broccoli into the ice bath to stop the cooking and keep a bright green color. This process is called “blanching”.
3. Fry bacon over high heat, drain well off the fat. Cut cheese into cubes.
4. Prepare the vinaigrette: in a bowl, combine mustard, honey, vinegar, olive oil, white wine, grated clove of garlic, chopped chives. Adjust the seasoning.
5. In a large bowl, combine broccoli, bacon and cheese. Pour the dressing over and mix well before serving.
(Photo Isca Isabelle)