It’s getting cold outside, and you know those times when you just need really comforting food and you need it really fast, right? This zucchini shrimp pasta with a deep, thick tomato sauce makes for a filling and comforting dinner without any cream. Finish it off with some parmesan and fresh cracked pepper to make it even more delicious!
Ingredients list for the shrimp zucchini sauce
- 1 lb (450g) shrimp
- 8 oz (225g) spaghetti or capellini
- Olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup (240ml) chicken or vegetable broth
- Salt, fresh cracked pepper
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, cut or torn into small pieces
- Parmesan cheese for topping
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
1. Heat a tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat and toss the onion in. Saute for 1 or 2 minutes. Add the zucchini and garlic and saute for 1 to 2 minutes more. Add tomato and broth and simmer for 10 minutes. The tomatoes will start to soften and render juice, the sauce will start to thicken.
2. In the mean time, cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
3. Add the shrimp to the thickened sauce and stir to combine. Cook over low heat until pink and cooked through. You can simmer on low for a little longer if you want to thicken the sauce. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve the shrimp over top of the pasta with a little Parmesan and pepper. Enjoy!