These soft, sweet, fluffy rolls filled with juicy strawberries and chocolate are our idea of a fantastic breakfast. The divine smell of bread and strawberries wafting through your house while they bake is simply irresistible. The dough can be made ahead so you can put this morning delight together in a breeze for breakfast. Pour yourself a cup of coffee and enjoy!
Ingredient list for the Strawberry Sweet Rolls
- 1/2 cup (100g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4/5 cup (200ml) milk
- 5 cups (500g) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (60g) granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3/4 tablespoon (7g) active-dry yeast
- 1 medium egg
- 3/4 pound (300g) strawberries
- 1/2 pound (200g) chocolate (dark or milk)
- 2 tablespoons (30g) heavy cream (optional)
- 3/4 cup (100g) icing sugar (optional)
- 1 egg yolk for gilding
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, sift flour, sugar and salt. Heat milk, stir in the yeast and set aside for 10 minutes. Make a well in the flour and pour in the milk and the whole egg. Start kneading to obtain a smooth paste, then gradually add half the butter, cut into cubes. Knead for about ten minutes. Cover the bowl with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise 1 hour—the dough should double in volume.
2. Gently wash strawberries, pat them dry and cut into pieces. Coarsely chop the chocolate. Knead the dough to get rid of air bubbles, then spread over a floured surface to form a rectangle about 10 x 20-inch (30 x 50 cm). Brush remaining butter over the entire surface, then sprinkle with strawberries and crushed chocolate. Sprinkle vanilla sugar then roll the dough. Cut rolls about 2 1/2 inch thick and arrange on a buttered pan. Let rise again for 30 minutes.
3. Brush with an egg yolk mixed with few drops of milk. Bake in a preheated oven at 430°F (220°c) for 20 minutes. Meanwhile combine heavy cream with the icing sugar and pour over the cake right off the oven. Allow to cool for a while cool before serving!
(Photography by Zero Miette)