Just a moment of delight to share for breakfast and starting the week on good tracks. Golden, soft and sweet, not only Vienna breads are the perfect addition to your breakfast, but they also pair wonderfully with soups (especially Minestrone), meat and fish dishes. These pretty loaves taste identical to the ones you can find at your bakery and they make the kitchen smell fantastic!
Ingredients you need for the small Vienna Breads
For a dozen small breads:
- 5 cups (500g) of flour
- 1 cup (250mL) of milk
- 4 tbsp (60g) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 5 tbsp (40g) powdered sugar
- 1 packet of baker’s yeast (0,6 oz – 17g)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 beaten egg & 1 tbsp milk for gilding
Spicy Baked Chicken Tenders
1. Warm the milk up for 30 seconds in the microwave. Dissolve the yeast in the milk and let stand for 5 minutes, covered.
2. In the bowl of a food processor, sift flour, sugar and salt, mix well. Make a well and add eggs and the milk with yeast. Knead a few minutes until the dough starts to stick. Then add the softened butter in pieces and knead until the dough becomes homogeneous. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise for 1 hour and half in a warm place.
3. Break the dough, turn out onto a floured surface and knead a few minutes to soften it. Divide into 12 equal pieces of about 2 1/2 ounces each (70g).
4. Shape them into long rolls and place them on a plate covered with a sheet of parchment paper, spacing them well as they will swell a lot. Cover with a cloth and let rise again for 1 hour.
5. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°c). Brown the bread rolls with the beaten egg / milk mixture, then score the breads with a razor blade or small knife.
6. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the loaves get a golden brown color.
Let cool out of the oven and eat without waiting too much… it would be too bad to miss these little warm delights!
Tips: Try to find a warmer room for a better leavening.
Recipe inspired by Isabelle
(This article was originally published on december 2011)