Healthier than pan fried potato patties, these ham and chive potato cakes are baked in oven for a result that is crisp in the outside and melting in the inside. This easy side dish is ideal to accompany holiday dishes like grilled meat, fish and poultry. Freezable in Ziplok bags and easily portable, they are also perfect to use up those Thanksgiving leftovers!
- 1 3/4 lbs (800g) potatoes, peeled and rinsed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 cup pancetta (or ham, bacon…), diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs or Panko
Want a printer-friendly version of the recipe with nutritional values?
1. Cook potatoes in plenty of salted water until cooked through. Meanwhile gently fry onion until translucent and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine potatoes, eggs, pancetta, onions, butter and chives. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Adjust the texture with a bit of milk if necessary.
3. Preheat your oven to 400°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. On the baking sheet, using a ring mold, sprinkle a layer of breadcrumbs, then scoop potato mixture to shape the cakes—about 1 1/2 inch thick. Press down slightly with the back of a spatula and finish with another thin layer of breadcrumbs. Remove the ring mold and repeat the process.
5. Bake in the oven at 400°F (190°C) for 10 minutes, or until golden and serve warm.
Notes: You can add grated parmesan cheese on top of the potato cakes.
Download your oven baked mashed potato cakes recipe card to save! Nutrition info included.
Download your oven baked mashed potato cakes recipe card to save!