Ingredients list for the lamb stew with potatoes and peas
For 6-8 people:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 lbs (800 to 900g) lamb shoulder cut into large dices
- 2 yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small piece of rosemary (we do not want the stew smells too much of herbes de provence)
- 1 stalk of celery
- Salt and pepper
- Count 2 medium potatoes per person
- 1 small bunch of parsley
- 2/3 lb (300g) fresh or frozen green peas
1. Heat oil over high heat in a oven safe pan (a good stainless steel chef pan will be perfect, reference here).
2. Put the meat in the pan to sauté for 10 minutes, turning regularly.
3. Then add onions, peeled and chopped coarsely, and sauté 5 minutes more.
4. Sprinkle the flour into the pan, stir, then add the celery cut in 2, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Simmer for 10 minutes, still over high heat, uncovered.
5. Then cover the meat with boiling water and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat and let simmer gently for one hour.
6. After one hour of cooking, add the potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks. Add a little boiling water to cover if necessary.
7. Cover and bring to a boil once more. Then place the pan in the oven and cook at 430°f (220°c) for 1:00 to 1:30. Then remove the casserole from the oven, add the peas. Cover and put back in the oven for 30 minutes more.
8. Serve hot. It’s ready!