So easy to make, very healthy, and totally addicting, this eggs and tomato breakfast skillet is definitely what you need for your Holiday mornings.
Ingredients list for the eggs and tomato breakfast skillet
- 6 tomatoes, blanched, peeled and cut in chunks
- A few yellow tomatoes and cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- A few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 large red onions, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 coffee spoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 5 large organic eggs
- Fresh parsley or basil
1. In a 10-inch cast iron pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add minced onions, garlic and thyme, cooking for 5-10 minutes, until slightly translucent. Add a coffee spoon sugar to caramelize the onions.
2. Add tomatoes and tomato paste and cook for 10 minutes.
3. Add the second coffespoon of sugar, salt and pepper and simmer until tomatoes have broken down into a loose sauce.
4. Remove thyme. Make a well in the tomato sauce with the back of a wooden spoon and crack 1 egg into the well. Repeat with remaining 4 eggs.
5. Season with salt and pepper and cook until whites are set and yolks are cooked as desired.
6. Top with fresh parsley or basil and serve immediately from the skillet and some slices of toasted baguette or country bread.