Bacon Egg Casserole
Today’s recipe is an egg casserole with bacon and red peppers, seasoned with a pinch of Espelette chili pepper. The egg is teamed with bread slices spreaded with an Espelette compound butter. You can serve with a simple green salad, to bring crunchiness and a fresh touch.
Ingredients: Bacon Egg Casserole
- 4 large and fresh organic eggs
- 2 red peppers
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 can of peeled tomatoes
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 3 1/2 ounces (100 g) of thinly sliced bacon
- 4 slices of country bread
- 3 1/2 tbsp (50 g) Chili pepper compound butter (a good salted butter is ok)
- Salt, pepper, Espelette or Jalapeno pepper powder
- 1/2 cup (10 cl) of olive oil
Baked Four Cheese Garlic Spaghetti Squash
1. For the recipe, you will need 4 small glass jars with their rubber seal (Le Parfait brand is a reference), or alternatively, 4 small casseroles with glass lid. Butter the 4 pots, set aside. Preheat oven to 320°f (160°c).
2. In order to remove any excess of fat, you can blanch bacon quickly in boiling water or in microwave.
3. Wash peppers, cut into small cubes. Peel and chop onion finely. Peel and crush the garlic clove. Drain half the box of tomatoes, press to extract the seeds, cut tomato flesh into small cubes (in summer, you can use fresh tomatoes).
4. In a casserole, heat the olive oil and sweat the onions without coloring for 5 minutes. Then add the peppers, garlic and thyme. Let sweat for 5 minutes more without browning. Finally add the tomatoes, salt and pepper and let stew over low heat for about thirty minutes. Add bacon, cut into thin strips 10 minutes before the end of cooking. Divide into 4 jars.
5. Break the eggs, separating whites from yolks. Add an egg white in each pot on top of the peppers (keep the egg yolks aside). Place the pots (closed) in a water bath and bake for twenty minutes. Egg whites should coagulate.
6. When the egg whites are cooked, gently place an egg yolk over. Season with a little sea salt and a pinch of Espelette pepper. Close the jars. Do not put in the oven. The heat of the preparation alone is enough to warm the egg yolks.
7. Toast the slices of country bread. Cut the bread slices lengthwise. Spread them with compound Espelette salted butter and sprinkle with a pinch of Espelette pepper. Serve the casseroles with a salad.
Recipe inspired by Dominique