Enjoy a warm and comforting bowl of this slow cooker split pea soup right off the crock pot after a hard day at work! This vibrant split pea soup is packed with spices, tomato, and loads of healthy nutrients—A fast and hassle free meal perfect for Meatless Mondays.
Ingredients list for the split pea soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup split peas, rinsed
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1 1/2-in. piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 cups (1l) vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning (optional)
1. In a crockpot, toss together the onion, split peas, garlic, tomato, ginger, curry powder, turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
2. Stir in 4 cups of vegetable broth and cook, covered, until the peas are tender, 4 to 5 hours on high or 6 to 7 hours on low.
3. Twenty minutes before serving, stir in the coconut milk. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the cilantro and sprinkle with cayenne if you like it spicy. Enjoy!