A nice shortbread bar recipe from the holidays… Always pair these cookie batches: one with Nutella, the other with jam, so there is something for everyone. Nutella fans and those who prefer jam will be delighted.
You can make as many layers as you want, creating a kind of shortbread building with multiple floors. However, I advise you to make only two layers: spread Nutella or jam on the first layer and cover with the second before browning and baking.
Ingredient list for shortbread bars recipe
For a large bashing sheet (about 60 squares):
- 5 cups (500g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tbsp ( 14 g) baking powder (optional)
- 1 1/4 cup (250 g) brown sugar
- 9 ounces (250 g) butter, softened
- Coarse salt
- 1 egg or just a yellow to brown
- Nutella (or organic chocolate spread for me)
- Jam (quince, apricot, black currant … whatever you like)
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
1. Preheat oven to 390°f (200°c).
2. Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and butter. Cut into cubes with your fingers. Add a little water to form a ball. Then split the ball in two and spread each on parchment paper.
3. Spread chocolate on half of the first dough sheet. Spreadjam over the second. Fold each sheet in two and baste with the egg yolk.
4. Bake for about thirty minutes, until the shortbread is browned. Cut into squares while still hot and leave to cool well before moving the squares from the baking sheet.