Find the true happiness in every spoonful! This chilled soup is the tasty combination of fresh green tomatoes and sweet strawberry salsa with refreshing hints of lime and basil. Try and serve this silky and smooth treat on a hot summer day, it is absolutely divine.
Ingredients list for the Green Tomato Soup
For the soup
- 2 lbs (1kg) green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 cucumber, trimmed and coarsely chopped
- 1 shallot (or small red onion), chopped
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon cilantro, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters
For the salsa
- 1/3 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, minced
1. Place tomatoes, cucumber, shallot, jalapeño and cilantro in a blender and purée until smooth. Add gradually the honey, then olive oil; purée until smooth.
2. Transfer to a large serving bowl. Stir in lime juice an adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and chill until very cold.
3. Combine diced strawberries with basil leaves in a bowl and chill.
4. Serve the chilled green tomato soup into individual bowls, garnished with the strawberry salsa, a drizzle of olive oil and toasted white country bread.
Notes: This soup is great with red tomatoes too. You can also add cubes of fresh mozzarella to the salsa.