Ingredients list to make the chicken stew recipe
- 1 whole chicken or chicken thighs (3 lbs – 1,5 kg)
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 leek
- 1 bouquet garni (1 sprig of thyme, 1 bay leaf, 3 sprigs parsley)
- 1 lb (200g) Paris mushrooms
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup (20 cl) of cream
- 3 1/3 tbsp (5 cl) of Calvados
- 1/2 pint (20 cl) of dry apple cider
- Oil, salt, pepper
Roasted Chicken Leg Quarters
1. Cut the chicken into pieces. Peel and finely chop the onion. Peel, wash, cut carrot and leek into cubes.
2. Melt a little butter in a pan and add a little oil. Fry the chicken pieces on all sides with onion and vegetables.
3. When they are well browned, remove the chicken and vegetables and degrease the pan. Return chicken to the pan (without vegetables) and sprinkle with hot brandy and flambé. Then moisten with cider, add the bouquet garni, cover and simmer for 40 minutes over low heat.
4. Meanwhile, peel the mushrooms, slice them and make them steam in a pan with a little butter, covered.
5. Add the mushrooms in the pan with the chicken, continue cooking for 10 minutes.
6. Remove the chicken and mushrooms from the pan and draw them up in a hot dish. Keep the pan warm. Remove the bouquet garni. Degrease the sauce if necessary.
7. In a bowl, whip the cream and fresh egg yolks together.
8. Pour the mixture into the hot pan and whisk vigorously to thicken the sauce until you obtain a smooth consistency.
9. Pour the sauce over the chicken or in a gravy boat.
Read also: chocolate and pear tart