This flavor-packed barley salad is sure to keep you full until dinner. Fresh, crunchy and high in fiber, it works great as a complete lunch you can bring to work or at school.
Ingredients list for the barley salad
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley, cooked according to package directions and cooled
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 4 to 6 slices of ham, diced
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon water
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Chopped chives
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Transfer cooked and cooled barley in a salad bowl, use a fork to fluff up barley and separate pieces. Add bell pepper, carrot, ham, onion, cheese, and scallion.
2. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the ingredients for the sauce: mayonnaise, water, lime juice, chives, salt and pepper.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad and stir to combine and coat everything. Serve immediately if desired, or keep refrigerated overnight.
Note: for a lighter version, you can substitute greek yogurt instead of mayonnaise for the sauce.