I guess everybody likes rice pudding, especially children, but what about people who want something more lighter than cow milk? This is a rice pudding version without cow’s milk, but just as creamy and subtly scented with almond milk. Stunning and highly digestible! If you are already used to prepare great dishes and desserts with almond milk, check our other almond milk recipes here.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
Resting: 0 min
Total time: 50 minutes
Ingredient list for the almond milk rice pudding
- 1 liter of almond milk (homemade or ready-made: Bjorg brand, for example)
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) of round rice
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) sugar (75 g only if you use the Bjorg almond milk, slightly sweet already )
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 stick of cinnamon (or 1 / 2 teaspoon of cinnamon powder)
- 5-6 saffron threads (or a scoop of powder)
- 5 green cardamom pods
- Crushed pistachios for topping decoration
- Liquid caramel topping (optional)
Preparation Steps for the almond milk rice pudding
1. Cook the rice for 3 minutes in a large pot of boiling water with a pinch of salt. Drain.
2. Bring almond milk with the scraped vanilla bean to a simmer with saffron. Add the cinnamon stick and cardamom pods, being careful to lock them up in a ball or a spice fillet, so you can remove them easily after cooking.
3. Add the rice and sugar to almond milk and spices. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes over very low heat. Remove the vanilla pod in the end. At the end of cooking, preparation must be sufficiently liquid. On cooling, the rice continues to absorb the almond milk and becomes smooth. If you cook for longer, the result may be very dry and stodgy when cooled.
4. Serve warm or cold with a drizzle of caramel or nature.
5. Add a cinnamon stick for decoration, and sprinkle some crushed pistachios.