With a fresh ocean scent and delicate flavors, clams not only taste wonderful, they are also quick and easy to cook. This recipe inspired by a classic Italian combination can be on the table in just minutes for dinner with a few basic ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
Ingredient list for the spaghetti with braised clams
- 2 pounds (1kg) of clams (manilas, tellins, soft-shell… the variety is up to you), scrubbed and rinsed.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Few sprigs of thyme
- 3 1/2 tablespoons (5cl) of olive oil
- 1/2 bunch of parsley
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound (450g) Spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Salt and pepper
Super-Fudgy Double Chocolate Brownie
1. Heat a pan with a little olive oil, add the clams and cover.
2. Let them open gently, remove those that re not opened. Then add the white wine, thyme, lemon zest and lemon juice, garlic and pepper.
3. Mix and simmer over low heat for 2 minutes. Drain the clams and set aside in a covered container.
4. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water.
5. Filter the cooking juice of the clams and put back into the pan. Drain spaghetti and add to the cooking juice with butters.
6. Finely chop the parsley and add to pasta. Add the clams and cook for 1-2 minutes, tossing gently.
7. Pour spaghetti on serving plates, add shells on top and serve immediately.
Notes: Inspect your clams and discard any broken or cracked ones. To remove sand from the clams, soak them for several hours in slightly salted water. Discard any clams that float. Then stir them vigorously under cool tap water. Clams found on the market should be already cleaned but it’s safer to add this step, just in case.
(Photography Dominique Sauvage)